By jrockstad
Hi guys, so, for a long time I was having trouble getting accurate focus in my scenes within Maya - whether I used the camera aim indicator or set a manual focus point to a piece of geometry, I never ended up with an accurate focal plane. I had a hunch it was something to do with scene scale, but, again, changing that seemed to have no effect. Then it hit me that I needed to create my cameras in a centimeter scale to get predictable focus - after that, it seems fine to switch back to any other unit with no effect on the focus behavior. This tripped me up because one of the first things I do when I start a new project is to change the scale to inches which is what I almost always model in. It's not a huge burden to remember to switch to centimeters before making my cameras, but I'm just wondering if this is a bug or expected behavior for the Maya plugin.

I'm using Maya 2014 on Mac OS X with Maxwell version 3.0.1 and plug-in version 3.0.0.8.

Thanks!
By Mihnea Balta
This shouldn't happen. Could you try to replicate this using the latest beta build of the plug-in (3.0.10)? If it still happens, could you send me a simple Maya scene which is showing the bug?
By jrockstad
Mihnea Balta wrote:This shouldn't happen. Could you try to replicate this using the latest beta build of the plug-in (3.0.10)? If it still happens, could you send me a simple Maya scene which is showing the bug?
Certainly - I will give it a go in the beta and get back to you.

Edit: I have sent you a PM with a sample scene demonstrating the issue.
By Mihnea Balta
Thank you for the scene. The problem seems to be a Maya bug - it's inserting an unneeded unitConversion node for the camera focus distance attribute, so the distance gets converted to centimeters twice. We will add a workaround for this in the next build.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]