By Ernesto
Hello,

I am working doing architectural stills. Rarely I do animations in Maxwell.
I usually choose a frame proportion for all the renderings in the same project, for instance a 16:9 horizontal frame, and a square frame for all panoramas, which are stitched into a spherical file, from 6 separated square stills.
The client wants to see the viewpoints as the project is being completed. Sometimes certain details are changed or certain objects are added or removed, which forces us to correct the viewpoints.
So, basically what we do, is rendering a set of stills, and a set of panoramas for each step in the project.
The problem that we have is that, we do not know how to set a 16:9 resolution for the stills and a square resolution for the panoramas, and we are all the time changing the resolution in the file. This is tricky and we forget it some times and we got square stills that were supposed to be rendered in a proportion of 16:9, and viceversa, which makes us to loose valuable rendering time. It is not the resolution only, in order to stitch the panoramas we need to disable the vigneting effect, in order to get a seamless stitching, and this chages drastically the exposude of the scene! As you may see now, there are lot of settings to be changed, from one case to the other.

We tried two partial solutions that I will explain below:

1) At first, we Created a copy of the scene, to be used for panoramic rendering only, but then we were forced to update two files.

2) Created a second file with the first inserted as external reference, to be used for panoramic rendering. In this way we could have the second file automatically updated, but in the main file we have problems to move objects that might interfere with the panoramic images, because we have the panoramic cameras in the other file, so we are forced to open up each file to check for interferences. We have also a problem with sunlight, because in case we are asked to change the sun angle, we have to do it in two files, running the risks of forgetting to do so in one of them.

3) Rarely we are forced to use two resolutions for the stills, for instance if the project is a tower, we use a vertical rectangular frame for the exterior views, and an horizontal frame for the interiors. So in this case we would need to create 3 separated files two for stills and one for panoramas, which is a trap for our memory, and this increase greately the risks of mistakes.

Anyway, I would be more than happy if we could have only one file, to avoid such a problems, but Up to now we couldn´t find the way to do so...

Perhaps one of you are used to do a similar workflow, and have found a better approach.
If so, i will be very happy to know how!

thanks in advance

Ernesto

what about gpu maxwell q project?

SS Pinto Bean

Hi Tommy, Great stuff - love it~! Thanks for pos[…]

Never No More Studio Lighting

Hello Mark! Very good tips about the camera setti[…]