By Ernesto
Hello,

I am experiencing problems exporting from certain maya scenes to mxs files.
This happens sometimes, so I couldn´t get the logic patern yet, but here is what I have up to now:

This happened in Maya 7 to Maya 2012, from Maxwell 1.7 to 2.7 in win XP and win 7.
The problem is that certain meshes loses their smoothness in the mxs file.
This happened with mirrored referenced objects only, but not all the time.
Here you have an example.

The pilot at the right (that looks faceted as if it would have no smoothness at all) is a referenced model, and it is reading the same 3d file as the pilot at the left, only that the first is mirrored.

Ernesto
By Ernesto
Mihnea Balta,

I have been working on the file, but the issue is so aleatory that I do not know how to reduce the complexity, and at the same time guarantee that the issue will happen again... All I know is that in this file, this exporting issue happens from time to time.
I can send it as it is... and if it is helpfull I can send the corrupt mxs file...
Would that work?

Ernesto
By Ernesto
choo-chee wrote:have you "duplicate special" the other pilot or re-place the MXS reference ?
choo-chee

Well , not in the current version, but yes I have tried using "duplicate special" command, before.
At that time I thought that it could have been the reason producing the issue, so in the current version I just mirrored the guy, assigning a negative value to the right parameter (I guess it was the x axis) and placed him by hand in the right seat.

But the issue appeared in both cases.

I am not mirroring the reference, I have a separated file with the group of pilots in it. 5 of them are straight but only one is mirrored. The whole file is used as external reference into the main file where I have the ship, and cameras.

Mihnea Balta

I have just sent the files.

ernesto
By Mihnea Balta
Thanks for the scene. Does the bug happen in this exact set-up? I've tried rendering it in various ways, but I can't see anything resembling the image you posted above.
By Ernesto
Mihnea Balta wrote:Thanks for the scene. Does the bug happen in this exact set-up? I've tried rendering it in various ways, but I can't see anything resembling the image you posted above.
The bug is so aleatory that I couldn´t reproduce it again in that setup...
The last time it happened it did in the complete scene (with materials cameras and the 6 pilots) but it happens to me once a month, and i work in that file almost every day.

If you need I can send the exact whole scene which produced the last issue.
I have backups of all the diferent stages.

Ernesto
By choo-chee
ernesto, I recall I had a similar issue in older versions.
Sometimes I got black triangles out of nowhere.
The reason was corrupt geometry , sometimes a simple cube or sphere was the cause for artifacts on other objects.
I used to isolate part of the scene to see when the bug occurs and then replace the bad object.
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]