By choo-chee
Hi again.
I need to import a file (MXS) that was created with the (latest) sketchup plugin.
However in maya (2012) I get an error (Errors have occurred while reading this scene that may result in data loss.
Please check the Script Editor for details.) and some meshes are material-less.
What can be done?

p.s. this is a sample from the script editor
// Warning: Error importing material '', cannot locate nodes. //
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2012/scripts/others/maxwellMain.mel line 2029: New name has no legal characters. //
By Mihnea Balta
The Maya MXS importer does not accept objects with no materials. We'll change this for the next build. In the mean time, you could open the MXS in studio and assign a default material to those objects.
By choo-chee
thanks however I've tried it already...
however I wanted to keep the original sketchup model shaders to keep me from working hard.
By choo-chee
no, I wanted materials that are assigned to objects but the Sketchup plugin probably writes them bad so the Maya plugin thinks they have no name or something...
By Mihnea Balta
Did you check the scene in Studio? Do all the meshes appear without a material there, or only some? I was saying that if it's just one or two meshes which somehow got exported without a material, you could assign a default material to those, and keep the material on the others. Maya should then be able to read the MXS.

If all the meshes show up without a material in Studio, maybe it's an issue with the Sketchup plug-in. If all the meshes have materials in Studio, but the Maya plug-in refuses to read the file, it's a bug in the Maya plug-in (different from what I initially thought was happening) and I'd need the MXS file to debug it (I don't need any external dependencies, just the MXS).
the render does not start

Also open the Console and read through it to see i[…]

Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]