By Gary Bidwell
Hi all,

how do we resume an .mxi file rendering?

If we use 'Resume mxi' we're asked for the associated MXS.
As we're rendering from maya we don't have an MXS.

What we'd like to do is render the whole frame to a certain SL and then reload the mxi, create a limited region and render this new region to a higher SL.
The idea is to comp this higher SL region on to the previous render - this is to cover more noisy areas like SSS etc.

Cheers
By r3dcube
I would be interested to know if this is possible too. Looks like you would use the maxwellRenderOptions.regionMode and feed it x and y values but docs don't mention them excepting that (although I could foresee some issues if the camera or object were moving). I have an SSS issues that would greatly benefit from this.
By Mihnea Balta
If you want to resume a render, you need to save the MXS, because that's where all the geometry and materials are stored. The MXI file is a 2D image, you can't resume rendering just with it. When you render straight out of Maya, it saves a temporary MXS which is deleted after you close Maxwell. If you want to keep the MXS for resuming later, you need to enable "Persistent MXS" in the render options. If the MXS Path field is empty, the plug-in will save the MXS in the same path and with the same name as the output image, but with the MXS extension.

Region rendering now uses the leftRegion, rightRegion, topRegion, bottomRegion and useRenderRegion attributes of the defaultRenderGlobals node, like any other Maya renderer. These attributes are not exposed in the common settings UI for some reason, but we'll add them in the Maxwell render tab or re-add them on the camera, like before, for better control.
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]