By rusteberg
happens without any instances of fire running.... i generally do heavy material adjustments within mxed through the mxed tab within max editor. periodically, for quick visual reference when assigning new base materials to objects i'll refresh within max editor (or after a fire session tweaking materials)....

but fire not relevant here. new scene, no fire, blue balls.... maybe an issue going through mxed via max editor then refreshing within max? don't know

Sporadic, yes..... running quadro 5000 on this particular machine with a rolled back driver version if that's of any relevance to display performance (max 2012?

i can get around it by opening up the material via mxed and refreshing, but it's an annoying little hiccup...
I am not sure if it's just Max - I often use Studio as well and one scene that had this issue in Max was doing the same thing in Studio at odd times too. In that case it only happened with the default material preview scene though - changing to another (like SSS or whatever) worked fine. Restarting Max, or Studio, always fixes the problem - at least temporarily.

Mihnea is aware of it anyway and I believe he passed it on to other developers to look at as well. If you can consistently reproduce pls send him a scene - I couldn't get it to happen every time but did send him what I could.

b
By rusteberg
thanks, B. havent experienced it yet in studio, but i'm not in that neck of the woods too often...
simmsimaging wrote:In that case it only happened with the default material preview scene though
hmmmm.... i'll try setting preview scene to something other than default within max preferences (i think i remember seeing that option) and see if this helps at all.

thanks for info
By rusteberg
i havent experienced this again yet, but two other things that pooped out:

1.) if i open up mxed through max to work on material-then open color picker and use the eyedropper to pick a color from a separate window source, everthything freezes up causing me to reboot. (does not happen with standalone mxed or within studio - only when called from max?)

2.) after editing a material through mxed within max material editor and close and save, it brings me back to the last map channel i was on within the max editor. if within that channel i choose "display in viewport", i get an error message saying the image or something can't be found then max crashes.
rusteberg wrote: 1.) if i open up mxed through max to work on material-then open color picker and use the eyedropper to pick a color from a separate window source, everthything freezes up causing me to reboot. (does not happen with standalone mxed or within studio - only when called from max?)
I'm afraid there's no solution for this. Max is waiting for MXED to finish; when you use the color picker, MXED sends a message to Max to get the color of the pixel you clicked on, but Max can't answer because it's waiting. The programs are waiting on each other, which is called a deadlock.
rusteberg wrote: 2.) after editing a material through mxed within max material editor and close and save, it brings me back to the last map channel i was on within the max editor. if within that channel i choose "display in viewport", i get an error message saying the image or something can't be found then max crashes.
We'll check this and fix it for the next build, unless it's some obscure "feature" in Max.
rusteberg wrote:
2.) after editing a material through mxed within max material editor and close and save, it brings me back to the last map channel i was on within the max editor. if within that channel i choose "display in viewport", i get an error message saying the image or something can't be found then max crashes.

Can't reproduce this on my end. When I come back from MXED it's not in the channel, it 's just at the BSDF layer, and going into the map and showing in viewport causes no problems. I went in and out a few times and added maps to check but no problem like you described.

Max 2012, x64

b
By rusteberg
thanks for info.

regarding 2.): i couldn't reproduce either when opening scene and creating error from scratch, and even when opening the scene causing it the other day it took a few attempts to break. (it's a love hate relationship with max i guess)

Mihnea, when and if it happens again, would a max mini dump (or whatever it's called) be helpful to send? if so, where do i find that file again?

many thanks!
Yes, the minidump may be useful. It's called 3dsmax_minidump.dmp and it's in your temp directory; the easiest way to get there is to type %temp% in the start menu search box (Windows 7) or run box (XP).

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]