This forum will be used to announce new features and release
By nicole
Hi everyone,

As promised, I am hereby announcing another new feature that comes with the soon-to-be-released Maxwell Render 1.5……

Now as you know, glare was already present in Maxwell Render 1.1, but it has been vastly improved both in terms of speed and memory usage and some much more extensive controls have been added, put together under the SimuLens™ feature. Please read below.

SimuLens™

Maxwell Render 1.5’s SimuLens™ system allows the user to define a pattern to simulate the shape of the camera diaphragm that will model the pattern of light reaching the film, creating realistic lens diffraction effects (glare). Diffraction happens when light goes through small holes, causing interference patterns. It is a very important phenomenon in optics, as it explains why for example a perfect telescope cannot be built. Light will always cause slight interference patterns because of the optical components used, causing the visual “artefact” known as diffraction/glare.

Furthermore, with the Simulens™ system, users can add a second pattern which defines 'obstacles' in the lens such as dust, water drops, fingerprints or eyelashes adding to a more realistic diffraction effect.

A second control was added to the lens diffraction feature, called Frequency, which lets you adjust the amount of colouring effect of the diffraction.

Another new parameter part of SimuLens™ is Lens Scattering, which simulates the scattering of light inside a lens system. This effect is typically called “bloom”.

These advanced controls bring a new level of quality and realism to computer graphics. Users can now have control over Diffraction, the frequency of Diffraction, and Lens Scattering to simulate blooming effects.

All these features are combined under the new SimuLens™ system which is also compatible with Multilight™. The diffraction can also be applied to HDR images.

Video by Yusuke Okaue:

http://www.maxwellrender.com/forum_ni/b ... finish.zip

Image by Mike Verta:

Image by Mihai:

Hope you like it…

Cheers,

Nicole
Sketchup 2024 Released

I would like to add my voice to this annual reques[…]