Add here your best high-quality Maxwell images.
By bathsheba
***NOTE February 23, 2006***

All renders in this thread before 2/23/2006 were made with the "beta" version of Maxwell.

***NOTE February 23, 2006***

OK, here's my thread with my name on it. Don't know how often I'll get to use it, but just in case.

This was about 8 hours with 8 bounces. Two daylight emitters at upper right, the environment is a weak blue lightdome, and there's a wall behind the object plus a red floor below it.
This was leveled a bit in Photoshop, the gamut wasn't very wide. I probably should have used brighter lights and a shorter exposure. If there were colored lights I'd like to put a little one at the center of the object, but it looked kind of dumb with a tungsten or daylight-colored light there.

I was a bit disappointed that the shadow didn't develop any articulation. The object is about a meter wide and about 30cm from the wall behind it, so I wasn't expecting a totally featureless smudge. But I guess that's the effect of using emitter planes...it looks kind of weird, but then large uniform arealights aren't really found in nature.

I found that with a single flat emitter the mesh looked crinkly, as the individual facets caught the light. Adding a second emitter at a slightly different angle helped that, the object looks much smoother with two of them.

Anyway, pretty wussy as renders go, but it's as good as I'm likely to get. If one of you clever people wants to render this object, go wild: I put a zipped STL file at http://bathsheba.com/tmp/maxwell/spikeball.zip. It's about 12MB zipped, 19MB unzipped. Sorry about the size, I couldn't get it any smaller.

-Sheba
Last edited by bathsheba on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
By Kabe
Hi Bathsheba!

Nice to see you here - I absolutely love your skulptures!

I think that you certainly have some nice structures that you are unable to cast for technical reasons- yet ;-).

Regarding the rendering: Maxwell shines when it comes to diffuse interactions, so I would suggest to play a little with that. If the skulpture could stand on the floor, it would also add some interesting ahdows IMO.

Keep up the good work, I'm interested to see more of your stuff here!

Kabe
By jotero
hello all :)
hi sheba,

nice work :) hier cult3d-demo spikeball 0,138 MB
I like it :*)

ciao
torolf
By tom
all amazing... i love all these math model stuff!
thank you bathsheba
thank you jotero
By bathsheba
jotero wrote:nice work :) hier cult3d-demo
Verdammt, that loads fast!

Thanks, -S.
By Frances
Hi Sheba,

The smaller the object you use for an emitter, the sharper the shadows.

Neat render regardless. :)
By sjmoir
Hope you use your thread often!
By bathsheba
Gentle wrote:Especially the metal is very nice.
I like it - but maybe you should add some stronger speculars?
Maybe so. I feel like most of my renders don't look contrasty enough...they're not exactly underexposed, because the highlights are starting to blow out, but the whole image looks kind of grayish.

Here's another one of the same type of model, with a more realistic material and a lightbulb inside. I thought it went a bit better; the shadows are nice.
This ran for 16 hours and got to 20 samples.

-Sheba
By tom
i think this is one of the most beautiful math object seen here :D nice setup...
if you want your images rendered with more contrast i can suggest you lowering the gamma ;)
By thomas lacroix
exellent, remind me of the 70-80's lamp with carved skin like on 'em...
will you give it a try with the upcoming SSS? :D
By Kabe
[Sound of jaw dropping to the floor]

Gosh... it's a nice renderer - and what a cool object that is. Looks in fact very organic, like some foam.

Really cool stuff!

Kabe
By bathsheba
thomas lacroix wrote:exellent, remind me of the 70-80's lamp with carved skin like on 'em...
will you give it a try with the upcoming SSS? :D
You bet. I sure hope our optimism is going to be justified on 6/15 -- the developers have been awfully quiet lately.

-Sheba
By bathsheba
tom wrote: if you want your images rendered with more contrast i can suggest you lowering the gamma ;)
OK, I'll try it. What I'd really like to know is what the heck "Burnt" does -- the docs seem pretty thin on that point.

-Sheba

Haha, thanks.

Hello, I'm still waiting for a solution to the pro[…]

Well.....they must have been proven wrong, as it's[…]

Hello dear customers, We have just released a new[…]